A Better Way to Bigger Profits: Enviro-Stewards Best for the World Award Featured in AFPA in Action Magazine
Enviro-Stewards’ integrated assessments average more than $250,000 of savings per facility, a 90 per cent implementation rate, and a one year payback period.
Enviro-Stewards’ projects have helped facilities identify practical opportunities to save:
- $42 million of additional profit
- 29 million cubic meters of natural gas (which is enough to heat 10,000 homes for a year)
- 37 million kilowatt hours of electricity (equivalent to the output of 145 acres of solar panels)
- 5 million cubic meters of water (enough to fill tanker trucks half way across North America)
- 45,000 tonnes of solid waste generation (enough to fill a football field 50 feet high), and
- 53,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
The development work that Enviro-Stewards initiated in South Sudan is the Safe Water Project (www.thesafewaterproject.org). So far, it has purified 39 million litres of water, avoided the deforestation of 3,000 trees that would have otherwise been needed to boil water to make it safe to drink, avoided 6,000 tonnes of GHG emissions in developing countries, as well as avoided about 1,450 cases of typhoid.
According to B lab, best for the world businesses are “in our opinion, the best businesses in the world. More certainly, they have subjected themselves to a strict assessment that indicates that they are the best for the world.”
The B Impact Assessment gives companies a score based on how they perform on metrics for impact on their communities, the environment, workers, and customers. The 1,800-plus businesses around the world that have undergone the B Impact Assessment and certified as B Corporations are all leaders demonstrating the many ways businesses can be a force for good in the world. The Best for the World list highlights businesses that B Lab has determined to have scored in the top 10 percent of all Certified B Corporations on the assessment.