Enviro-Stewards employs a focused Five-Step Pollution Prevention Process that is aimed at reducing your overhead and treatment costs.
Enviro-Stewards follows a focused 5-step approach to Pollution Prevention Assessment:
1. Who are your champions?
- A team is assembled with representatives typically from upper management, engineering, QA/QC, plant supervision, and operators.
2. What are your primary wastes?
- Quantify & prioritize wastes through measurement, observation, and facility records.
3. Why are your wastes generated?
- Identifying root causes as to why waste is generated in the first place.
4. Where can they be reduced?
- Design and perform financial & technical analysis of alternatives.
5. When should change be implemented?
- Prepare an implementation plan that categorizes each opportunity within an immediate, medium-term, or long-term time frame.
- Facilities in Ontario can secure co-funding for comprehensive toxics reduction assessments through the Bloom Centre for Sustainability’s On-Site Technical Assistance Program for Manufacturers [Note: co-funding through this program ended in June 2012].
- Co-funding from the Ontario Power Authority (OPA), Enbridge, and Union Gas are is available to bundle, which provides an opportunity for a facility to bundle an Energy Efficiency (E2) assessment with a comprehensive toxics reduction assessment.
Address Problem Drivers
- Efficiently reduces overhead costs and effluent treatment costs (versus end-of-pipe treatment).
- Legally required at the Federal, Provincial, and/or Municipal level, such as:
Ontario’s Toxics Reduction Act (TRA), Toronto’s Sewer Use Bylaw (Chapter 681), and the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) notices.
- Improved employee Health & Safety.
- Reduced risk of environmental impact.